Author Topic: Shows Never Change  (Read 1397 times)

Realty funds

• View Profile
Shows Never Change
« on: July 24, 2016, 12:21:43 PM »
I went to the Melody Tent concert last night. The music was amazing, there is no equal among the Beatle tribute bands. Yet, as this is my second concert for this band, the jokes and stories are almost exactly the same, even from Ed Sullivan. This can make it boring for repeat visitors. Why not also mix up the songs a bit each time by including Songs like Let it Be, the Long and Winding Road, Hello Goodbye, Paperback Writer, etc. Again, the band is great but the show could be even better and encourage more repeat visits if there was some variety.

Fab4Gal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Shows Never Change
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 03:31:00 PM »
Hi there!

They do "special" shows that are usually themed and have a lot more of the lesser-heard songs, usually in their native southern California area. However, believe it or not, on the road people get angry when they do not hear the #1 hits at the shows. They don't like hearing songs they don't know, they want to enjoy the songs they've heard on the radio, I guess. The venues also want a "hits" show 99.9% of the time, because that is what draws in a crowd...and the venues book the Fab Four to perform, not the other way around.

As an avid Beatles fan myself I understand exactly what you mean, heck I think I have seen the Fab Four play my own favorite Beatles song just once in the 15 years I have been seeing them. The guys themselves understand what you're saying as well, they are the biggest Beatles fans you will meet, and every cast member loves playing the lesser known songs. it just unfortunately is the nature of the beast to have a consistent touring show.

~ Brittany

Realty funds

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 05:28:32 PM »
Hey Brittany,

I get your point about the songs for the most part, but why do the jokes/stories/banter have to be exactly the same? The Ed Sullivan guy looks so much like Ed but his jokes never change.

As to songs, Let it Be is one of their biggest songs ever as is Eleanor Rigby and they did not play either song.

Fab4Gal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 10:58:23 AM »
It depends upon who is playing Ed Sullivan - George Trulliger has one act that he does, and the late great Jerry Hoban had his own act that he did, both of which are quite different. I'm sure if you look on YouTube you can find all the different variations. Jeff DeHart is another of their Ed Sullivan cast members.

True about "Let It Be" being one of the Beatles' biggest songs - but isn't "Hey Jude" also? I know a lot of people that would be up in arms if Hey Jude were left out. There is only so much time for a show - no matter what they play we will always be able to say "but this song was missing," there simply are too many for everyone to be 100% happy. :)

~ Brittany